Sunday, October 29, 2017

The Glow Worm

A guest post from Farm Buddy:

Okay, blog readers, this is the big day….Now I know Sara from Punkin’s Patch is going to try and tell you that it is National Hug a Sheep Day, and that may be true, but most importantly, today is Scout’s birthday, and he is 15 years old!!!!! 

(I don't recommend anyone trying to hug Scout, he is a grumpy old man and he will bite you.)

Is that a milestone or what? Not only is he fifteen, he is active! He greeted his morning and evening hikes with enthusiasm! He had a definite dog trot AND he carried a big stick both times! Not many 15-year-old dogs will do that!  

Oh, I admit Scout is not without a few problems; I have to be careful to make sure he doesn’t fall when getting out of bed in the morning, and he can be a bit unsteady crossing rock walls, but he really is in remarkable condition for a dog his age. Kris did have to get him a glow-in-the-dark collar so I can find him after dark.  He likes to go wandering about in the evening and he is rather deaf so it was hard to keep track of him.  Now, he looks like a glow-worm wandering about the yard.  He has an insatiable appetite for just about any type of food, and he is still able to keep all of the other dogs in line, even big Bess. No one argues with him, including me! So here’s hoping he can make it to the big 16, as my world will definitely not be as bright without him. 

Scout comes from a litter of seven pups, all males, and he still has one surviving brother, Moss, who lives in Massachusetts with the kind woman that raised the litter. Scout and I want to wish Moss a very happy birthday too. We also want to always remember the brothers who have passed, Tanner, Gyp, Dru, Beck, and one that I am not positive of his name, but I think it was Barley. Of these brothers, Scout and I were closest with Tanner, whom of course you all knew, and we miss Tanner very much and always will.

Now hopefully Ms. Dancing Donkey can come up with some appropriate pictures to acknowledge this extraordinary occasion!!






15 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to Scout. He's remarkable. I hope Kris has some good pictures of him to show him off, but she said her camera bit the dust. Literally. So here's hoping that one of you has another camera or a phone with a decent camera to get some pictures to commemorate his special day. By the way, I always enjoy your contributions to the blog and am happy to hear from you again. I also appreciate from afar how you and Kris support each other. Good friends are hard to find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday Scout! I well remember when my old rescue Lab cross got to 17. She would ask to go out at night, then wander off across the acreage, and she was pure black and deaf. It necessitated many a midnight hunt in my pyjamas to find her while trying to stay at least half asleep so i could more easily get back to sleeping when we finally got back inside. I should have thought of a glowing collar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday Scout! I well remember when my old rescue Lab cross got to 17. She would ask to go out at night, then wander off across the acreage, and she was pure black and deaf. It necessitated many a midnight hunt in my pyjamas to find her while trying to stay at least half asleep so i could more easily get back to sleeping when we finally got back inside. I should have thought of a glowing collar!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Scout. May you have many more!

    My d'Arcy is 13 and still carries his sticks. His hind end isn't so good. He's just a bit blind and deaf so requires some special care. I think that glow in the dark collar would be a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The collar is great. I never ever use collars, but I only put this on when I let Scout out at night, and it can either flash fast, flash slow, or stay lit in a foot-long strip. It charges on my computer too. Makes me feel much safer. Scout has great vision, but is quite deaf. We do high-climbing exercises every day to strengthen his rear end.

      Delete
  5. He's looking great....here's to another year for the Grumpy Old Man!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wishing Scout a very Happy Birthday!! I will bring him a birthday treat on Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday, Scout; and it would be okay to allow Farm Buddy just one hug on this auspicious day. (In the first photo Scout looks like he is thinking, "Don't even think about hugging me, lady.")

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scout usually lets ME hug him, but that is IT! I do give him massages every night on his legs, shoulders, and back. He likes this!!

      Delete
  8. Happy Birthday Scout! Best wishes for another year leading your family.
    I love old curmudgeon dogs. Nice photos too, Kris.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful big brown eyes get me every time... Happy Birthday Scout and may all your dreams be chasing something furry!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beauty, and what a birthday milestone!

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a handsome fellow! Happy Birthday and such a milestone. And you can be as grumpy as you like. Who could resist that handsome face. have a nice party!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How wonderful! Thanks for posting this and Happy Belated Birthday Scout! Morris has a little thing I put on his collar and it is a pet light. He tends to trot off in the dark also.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's definitely Scout's Birthday Day :-D. Glad he had a good one!

    ReplyDelete