Thursday, December 27, 2012

Snow Day

"C'mon guys, aren't you going to come out at all today?"

"Are you out of your mind??  We're not coming out there!"

"Aw, c'mon, you have to at least stretch your legs."

"Hmmmm, nope, don't think so.  You go right on and have fun playing with the snow blower thingy without us.  I'll keep an eye on things from here."
"Sheesh Em, you know I hate snow blowing.  Don't you think you ought to at least come out and supervise, make sure I do it right?" 

"Don't worry Ma, I'll be watching.  You know you can count on me!  Gotta make sure you get it right after all."  no way, no how am I going out there though...

***
Two and a half hours of snow blowing later...

"YUCK!  ALL THAT TIME SPENT MOVING THIS NASTY STUFF AROUND AND THIS IS THE BEST YOU CAN COME UP WITH?"

"Aw jeez Ramsey, you too?  I thought you at least would want to come out and play."

"PLAY WITH THIS?! ICK."
"Say Ma, why don't you just let us know when you get all this mess cleaned up.  We'll talk then, OK?  And HEY, we could use a bit more HAY in here!"

"Yeah, sure Em, I'll get right on that......" 




4 comments:

  1. Emma peeking around the corner is too cute!!

    How cold does your barn get Kris? I was at Codman yesterday and it must have been 35 degrees with the doors open. Big gaps between the closed door in the back and the ceiling. No blanket for Opal of course. What's the optimal temp in the winter for a closed barn? Your barn looks tight and cozy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The temp in my barn is the same as outside. The walls are tight to keep wind out, but there is no door covering the 8 foot wide entrance. Barns should be wind proof and dry, but not heated. Heated barns cause respiratory trouble, good ventilation is far more important than temperature. The old two story dairy barns (I am assuming that is what Codman's has) will often stay above freezing if there are enough animals in them to generate heat. They were designed that way to keep water from freezing and the sills from heaving.

      Most donkeys do fine without blankets. Emma has always seemed prone to stress from extreme temps. I don't know why, she is healthy in every way. I hope that as they mature, Emma and Ramsey won't need blankets. If Opal is OK without, she is better off. I hate blankets.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad to see Ramsey at least is willing to check out the snow! Kind of like my Emma, the Beautiful Calico Queen. She wants out so badly that she's even willing to step in the snow, but that's as far as she'll go!!!

    Nancy in Iowa

    ReplyDelete