Saturday, January 14, 2012

A Charged Situation

It's always good to have a bit of "spark" in a relationship but, this is getting ridiculous.  Every time I take the blanket off of Emma, one or both of us gets a bad zap.  I can't think of a better way to alienate a horse and especially a donkey.  It is one of the many things I dislike about horse blankets, along with the dry, itchy, skin and dandruff because the blankets absorb the natural oils in the horses' coat.  Luckily, I have found something that really helps these problems.  And I know, I know, this is starting to sound like a commercial but, it isn't.  It's only that I have a problem with static, I am familiar with the skin problems associated with blanketing and I have seen 3 other blog posts about static this week (sorry, I didn't keep track of who's) so I thought I would share my solution.

I have been using a spray called "Healthy Haircare Moisturizer", it has lanolin in it and it really cuts down on the static problem as well as the dry skin.  It helps with the static even if you aren't using blankets.

I also got to thinking about this stuff.... I am wondering if it would help give a donkey a little bit of "water-proofing".  It seems logical to me.  Donkeys are desert animals and lack the protective oils in their coats that help horses deal with wet weather.  A little bit of lanolin could go a long way.  Have any of you tried this?  I can't see any downside, the spray is very light and does not mat down or clump the hair.  I would be very interested to hear if anybody has used this stuff for that purpose.  If not, I will probably give it a try.  The only thing I don't like about this spray is its smell, it is very perfumey.  Although, I will admit that I am ultra sensitive to this sort of thing.  I can live with it, so most people probably won't even notice it.  I would rather have a slightly smelly donkey than one who thinks I am carrying a cattle prod everywhere I go.

4 comments:

  1. We love that product and use it liberally. It's about the most effective and economical moisturizer that we've found. Some folks spend tons on "show sheen", "peppy" and "cowboy magic", and we just use HHC. The concentrate is the best bang for your buck. As far as waterproofing, I can't say, but the logic based on it's moisturizing ability seems to make sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in the desert and have never blanketed an animal, so this is new to me. But the static has to go. I'll be interested to read what solutions you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not sure what this product you are using, but I do use Avon Skin so soft in the summer on Libby to keep the flys off her. Works great. I give her a light spray with it. Then a friend of mine, said that she used it on her horse, and almost killed her. She could not sweat! I don't know how much she put on her horse, but it was enough to where the horse was un-able to sweat. I have not ever seen that problem in using it though. If this is neat stuff, maybe show a picture of it, (I am a picture person), and I will use it on Star. Her coat is so course and she has such dry skin. She is a very dirty Donkey, and needs a bath so bad, but it is the wrong time of year for that. This sounds like a really neat product to use, and I look forward to reading more responses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't use skin-so-soft, the smell alone makes me ill. I know it works well for a lot of people but, I have also heard of lots of problems with it. I can't handle the stuff at all. Here is a link to the HHC. I don't have any photos, the lable fell off of the bottle I have:
    http://www.healthyhaircare.com/hairMoist.php

    Let me know how it works as a waterproofer if you decide to try it.

    ReplyDelete